There has been a widespread of bed bug infestation in some parts of the world. Are you worried that you probably might have bugs in your home, and need suggestions to get rid of them? This article provides a complete guide to get rid of bed bugs in homes and offices.
While, on one hand, bed bugs are very easy to bring into your home without you realizing it, on the other hand, they are one of the most difficult creatures to eradicate; as not only are they hard to find, but bed bugs are resistant to some insecticides.
In this article, I will explain the signs of bed bug infestation and how to get rid of bed bugs and their eggs using some home remedy solutions you can easily implement. If you are excited, let’s get started.
- How to Detect Bed Bugs in Your Home
- Early Signs of a Bed Bug in Home
- Health Effects of Bed Bug Bites
- Bed Bug Treatment.
- 10 Basic Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
- Seeking Professional Bed Bug Control Service
How to Detect Bed Bugs in Your Home
While Bed bugs could be difficult to identify; more often, there are some common signs of bed bugs to watch out for as possible indications that they might just be within your home or office.
Bed bugs are dark yellow, brown, or red-coloured tiny insects that live on bedding and other furniture as described by the UK’s NHS.
Bed bugs can hide in tiny cracks and hidden places around the home or office; some of which include:Bed Bugs
- Mattress and box spring
- Bed frames,
- Loose wallpapers,
- Electrical sockets and fittings
- Cabinets, and others.
Beg Bugs multiply quickly and are mainly clustered around mattresses and couches, in bedrooms and living rooms where they can easily have access to bloodmeals. Usually, Bed bugs feed at night on blood
Regardless of the cleanness of your home or office, bed bugs and their eggs could still find their way into your home if you don’t put Bed bug control measures in place (explained in later sections below).
Early Signs of a Bed Bug in Home
One of the early signs of a bed bug in a home is the appearance of bites on your body after waking up. To learn how to eliminate bed bugs, it’s imperative you understand the other possible signs of bed bugs in a home.
- Dark stains or Blood spots on your bedding which could have resulted from bed bug bites or squashed ones
- Seeing bed bugs poo or Small Dark spots on mattresses, furniture, bedding, wallpapers, and walkways is evidence of bed bugs presence. Each excretion is about 0.5 to 1.0mm
- Bites on your skin (neck, face arms, leg, and general body) when you are asleep, with the appearance of itchy red or purple spots.
- Seeing Live insects or Adult Bed Bugs in home. The average adult female bed bug is about 5mm long.
Health Effects of Bed Bug Bites
While bed bugs are not known to transmit diseases, the health effects of bed bug bites may include irritation, and itching, and can result in infection if the bite spots are scratched. While some individuals do not react to bed bug bites, in some cases, affected persons have been reported to have some swelling of the affected areas.
Bed Bug Treatment.
If you’ve suffered from a bed bug bite, the natural reaction would be to scratch the bite. But please do not scratch the bite surface to avoid getting infected.
The following home remedies are suggested to cure bed bug bites:
- Make sure to keep the affected area clean.
- Apply anti-inflammatory oil such as Basil or Lavender on the affected areas.
- If the bite spot feels itchy and you can’t resist scratching, you can place a clean damp cloth to help with the itching.
- Seek immediate medical attention at your pharmacy or GP.
10 Basic Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs spread from one home to the other through clothing, furniture, and luggage because of their small size and high adaptation. To prevent bed bugs and their eggs from getting into your home, we have listed some DOs and DONTs as general guides as ways to get rid of bed bugs.
Dos (DIY Home Remedies for Bed Bugs Control)
- Regular cleaning and vacuuming of your environment and areas around your bed to kill the bed bugs.
- Heat treatment by regularly washing bedding and clothing material in hot water (above 50 degree) and tumble dry for 30 minutes to fully eradicate bed bugs eggs.
- Refrigerating affected bedding and clothing in a plastic bag for about 4 days is another way to kill bed bugs.
- Eliminate clutter in your house and around your bed as much as possible.
- Clean your bedroom more frequently most especially underneath your bed and cabinets
- Be careful with shared laundry facilities
- Use natural household ingredients like baking soda, baby powder, and lavender oil as home remedies to eradicate bed bugs.
- Apply bed bug killer spray or any other recommended insecticide as the last option to kill bugs if you notice their presence in your home.
Don’ts (DIY bed bug Controls)
- Avoid bringing second-hand bedding, furniture, and clothing materials to prevent introducing bugs and their egg into your home.
- Avoid sleeping overnight in a hotel, hostel, care homes, or guest house with suspected bed bug infestation signs such as the presence of blood stains or bed bug poo on bed linen.
- Don’t spread bed bugs to others. Slash any disposed mattress so others don’t take it for use.
Seeking Professional Bed Bug Control Service
If you have tried all the above suggestions but you still notice the presence of bed bugs in a home or office, then it’s time to seek the services of a professional pest control company who are equipped and experienced in responding to bed bug problems.
Bed Bug Incident in London
One instance of bed bugs discovered in a west London library was reported in November 2023. Ealing Council said Ealing Central Library closed on Monday 30th October 2023 after bed bugs were discovered in the furnishings. This incident happened a few days after the London Mayor – Sadiq Khan gave assurance that actions are being taken to prevent Bed bugs outbreak in London.
Can you get bed bugs from Train Seats?
Although there have not been any recently reported cases of bed bugs on train seats in Europe or other parts of the world; nevertheless, there is a possibility of finding one on train seats. To keep safe, watch out for bed bug infestation signs such as the presence of blood stains or bed bug poo around train seats.
What to do if you slept in a bed with bed bugs?
If this happens in a public facility like hotel, hostel, care home, or guest house, inform the facility manager immediately and make sure to Refrigerate affected bedding and clothing in a plastic bag for about 4 days. If this happens in your house, there is a possibility that the bed bugs are not just on your bed but may have spread across other locations in your home. Wash all clothing and Refrigerate them in a plastic bag for about 4 days. If you have tried all the above suggestions but you still notice the presence of bed bugs in your home, then it’s time to seek the services of pest control professionals.
What Household Ingredients Kills Bed Bugs?
You can use some commonly available natural household ingredients like baking soda, baby powder, and lavender oil as natural remedies to eliminate or kill bed bugs without insecticides. While this has not been scientifically proven to kill bed bugs, baking soda is known to break down when it comes in contact with water, with the potential to absorb the fluids on the bed bug.
What can I spray on my mattress to Kill bed bugs?
There are a lot of bud bug killer sprays you can purchase from online stores to eliminate bed bugs in a mattress. but bed bugs may become resistant to chemicals in some instances. Spray the killer chemical near the bed and other bed bug hiding locations. To effectively kill bed bugs on your mattress, you need to get rid of clutters, and wash your bedding under a high temperature of above 50 degrees to kill all bugs and eggs.
To read more interesting home improvement articles kindly visit our HOME PAGE